1316 exists because the Northern Pacific put a depot and an addition a mile and a half out of 1883 Helena and the wholesalers followed the tracks.
02_PATENT.md.Legal: Northern Pacific Addition, Block 25, Lots 1–4, plus 35 feet of closed Cooke Street, Section 29. That is depot-addition land, not Last Chance Gulch commercial core.
The 1935 papers call the area “the warehouse district at the Northern Pacific depot” and put Nash-Finch and A. M. Holter in it (Independent, 12 Nov 1935). Christie unloaded whisky from a freight car at the liquor house west of the depot (Independent, 20 Oct 1935). The NP yards themselves: every brick building twisted, half a huge chimney down, shops wrecked (Independent, 20 Oct 1935, C. A. Mattmiller, roundhouse foreman).
Spur onto this warehouse: VERIFIED on the 1884 Sanborn. Sheet 9 draws a PLATFORM the length of the Kleinschmidt stone warehouse on Block 25 and a SIDE TRACK between the platform and the N. P. R. R. tracks (03_SANBORN.md). Whether that exact siding still existed in 1930 / still shows as a scar today is the 1930-sheet + ground check. Do not invent a BNSF reply — Diane’s application only says correspondence had begun.
The 1936 State Liquor Warehouse was built on the Great Northern yard / Front & Lyndale (helenahistory.org). That is the replacement of the Bozeman Street liquor house, not of 1316. Two railroads, two yards, one Sixth Ward. Do not put 1316 on the GN Front Street plant.
This is a railroad warehouse. It is on the NP Addition. The 1884 map already gives it a Northern Pacific side track at the loading platform. The 1935 shock that wrecked the depot district wrecked its office and made it pull a permit to rebuild its stone end walls. That is the railroad story.